Saturday, September 24, 2016

Still working through Jane Davies 100 Drawings Class

For seven of these I started with pieces created in lesson one so they all already had something going on to start. Why re-invent the wheel, right? They all have far more than three passes as I kept cycling through and reviewing variety. I kept asking "what does this have and what does it need?". I needed to scan these while they still showed variety of mark and line in all quadrants before I took them further......I'm dying to add color!
1
 I had fun getting a veiled effect with watered down black acrylic ink in the upper right. I also realize with this one that the opaque gray block provides a counterpoint to all of the veiling. I love it, but I am still struggling with commitment issues when it comes to opaque paint.

2
Adding the contrasting skinny white line over the solid black created some movement here. I tend to work middle of the road in value and scale so I tried extra hard to add skinny little lines and bigger shapes.The lower right and left were looking pretty similar so I added some black fine line shapes to the right.

3
I'm finding that after veiling and covering over a lot of marks, it is effective to pull selected marks back to the top. In this case, the black drips in the right lower corner were re-dripped after being obliterated. I guess this is all part of the process of recognizing what worked and knowing that I don't have to preserve every "favorite" mark because I can always re-introduce them back on top. I'm also getting better at going over existing marks to commit to them more.

4
Here in 4 and 5, I am committing to some big black shapes and then breaking them up with skinny contrasting lines. The hard edge of the veiling in the upper right and its contrast with the black is an effect that I need to remember to use again.

5



6
Super Busy! There is a lot going on here in 6, but I'm enjoying looking at the scan and searching for all of the different marks and depths.

7
 Seven is a little quieter and still has a variety of line, mark and shape in each quadrant.

8
I'm not sure what to say about 8. It does have variety in each quadrant, but I'm itching to take it further to define the areas I like the most (lower left).

This volume of practice coupled with being "forced" to work every week is helping to overcome that non-committal piece of me. As the Queen of Procrastination, I can't believe I've actually kept up with all of the lessons!

3 comments:

  1. So cool! #6 is my favorite. Good for you for keeping up with it--"You're doing a great job, Mandy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..that's what my rock says....
      And I thought #6 was too busy...guess not!

      Delete
  2. Jane's comment from the class blog for my records:

    Jane DaviesSeptember 25, 2016 at 9:05 PM

    Excellent work, Mandy! Great job on the pieces, great variety within each one, excellent process notes and observations. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete